Sunday 19 August 2018

Lee’s Adventures in the US Or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love Gencon


So as I write this my eyelids are drooping with the latter stages of jet-lag recovery. A minor inconvenience really given what a great time I had last week attending Gencon for the first time, albeit in a work capacity.

The whole trip was very short notice, about three weeks worth after a colleague pulled out of attending which allowed me to stand in. I was kinda excited and terrified as I had a fear of flying, having only done it once to Amsterdam back in 2001 and even though it was a 40 minute journey I was rigid with fear the whole time, particularly when taking off or landing. This trip would comprise of four separate flights roughly totalling 16 hours in the air with the accompanying ups and downs not to mention the prospect of turbulence. Despite this a free trip abroad was not something I was going to turn up so I gritted my teeth and got down to the business of getting on with it.

The first flight out was the worst, from London to Iceland, but it was only 2 hours and allowed me to acclimate to the whole experience. Unlike my Amsterdam trip I wasn’t alone and didn’t want to appear a wuss in front of everyone so sucked my anxiety up and distracted myself with videos on my tablet, plenty of anime. Iceland is quite bland from the air. It’s not very big and only has a population of about 60,000. Was a nice place to visit though and I would like to get a better look round at some point. All in all it was a solid 26 hours of travel to get to our hotel in Indianapolis which we arrived at around 2am.

Tuesday and Wednesday we had some time to ourselves after setting up the Warcradle stand (it’s awesome, check it out if you can, it’s at most big events). We got to experience how big America is. Everything is bigger, their streets, their buildings, their food! I was very careful with the food. Everything seems to be fried and made of meat. Steak was on the menu of every restaurant we visited, even the breakfast and Chinese buffet places! I had steak and lobster at Red Lobster one evening! Most of us got sick during the stay and I was being careful with my intake in both quality and quantity. Its easy to understand why America has such a prevalent obesity problem given how hard it is to eat well there. On the two occasions I asked for a salad they didn’t have any leading me to believe it was only included on the menu for the sake of appearing to have a healthy option. Between frugal eating and a stomach bug I’ve lost over a stone and a half, so silver linings.



Thursday the show started proper. The convention centre Gencon is held at is huge. There are dozens of adjacent rooms all hosting an event of some sort and even a few attractions. I regret not being able to try the immersive star ship bridge simulator or take time out for a massage. It is so big it took longer to walk to the toilet and back than actually use it! It took me a good 15 minutes to walk from one end of the main exhibitor hall to the other and the main tournament hall was just as big.



It was so big that finding anything specific was a nigh on impossible task if the booth you wanted did not have a banner suspended from the ceiling. There was so much there that unless you knew the booth number and had a map you would have no chance. I was asked to pick up several things for people while I was there and did not manage to grab anything. It took me all weekend to find the thing that I wanted, the Transformers collectible card game! I had to do a Reddit search after the first day which led me to Hall B which was not accessible from outside. Speaking to one of the guys who was providing demos, Hall B was correct. Eventually I managed to gain access via the main gaming hall. It was being sold by a retailer stand as Wizards of the Coast were not attending themselves. I managed to grab a starter set on Friday afternoon but was told the day’s allocation of the Gencon exclusive set were all gone and to try again the following day from 10am. The following day the queue ran up the width of the hall and back so I had to leave it as I had work to do. Sunday I was there first thing and only had to wait 15 minutes after opening to get a set though the allocation had dropped from two per person to one meaning I couldn’t pick up a spare for a friend. Not very well managed.



Stands that caught my eye whilst on walkabout were the Wyrd stand, they had their new plastic scenery form Malifaux and The Other Side which looked impressive. The Fantasy Flight Games stand had a queue to buy things, staff only letting a handful of people in at a time but they were selling X-Wing second edition amongst other things so easy to understand why. I snapped some pics of their new Star Wars products when I got a chance.

#




The Paizo stand was done up like an inn or feasting hall and looked to be hosting demo games of Pathfinder. The Munchkin stand had nothing to buy from what I could see but had a lot of games going on. Warhammer 40K Munchkin is due out in March for those who are interested.

Games Workshop were there and demoing a number of their games, Age of Sigmar being very prominent. Preview on display were the new Hobbit game and Adeptus Titanicus which is finally coming out! The models look great.

There was also the Warcradle stand (plug) which had a display board I helped design of a dock with a 34mm scale Dystopian Wars Union frigate as well as upcoming minis for Wild West Exodus and the work in progress Prussian Imperium fleet.




There were plenty of cosplayers about. They would take turns posing for photos in the main hall and there was a parade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcEiEUWJm0A so if you missed someone during the event there was a chance to view them all in one place. There were also a number of musical acts ranging from comedy bands, folk, steampunk and groups playing covers of requested geek tunes.



So, I enjoyed my time at Gencon, even the constantly looping and unattended video of Dragon Ball Super the card game running non-stop for four days could not dampen my enthusiasm. I think that if you are going to attend the full four days you need to book yourself into some of the tournaments as there maybe isn’t enough in the exhibitor hall to keep you going that long. There are seminars but they’re spread out and if there is only one game you are interested in then you’ll get limited use out of it.

The whole show had a really good atmosphere. Everyone I met was really friendly and enthusiastic. We were all geeks together and Indianapolis felt really welcoming to the attendees. There were banners welcoming gamers, local businesses were doing offers for ticket holders and even people that I spoke to at the bar we visited, Walmart, Meijer and the various restaurants we went to knew about Gencon. It is a big boost to the local economy and the locals seem to realise and appreciate it. I was especially impressed with how inclusive the event was. LGBT people were able to walk around freely without harassment and there were plenty of rainbow t-shirts, hairdos, tails and lanyards on show. I will definitely need a lanyard for PAX Unleashed this November in Philadelphia which is my next US show.










No comments:

Post a Comment